You can build your own home with the Summit County Mutual Self-Help Program. You and a team of up to twelve other participants can build your own home and reduce the price of your new by approximately 20%. The program takes about 8-12 months from start to completion.
There is no cost to participate in the program, however you must be willing to contribute your spare time for the duration of the program. Homebuyers are required to work 30 hours per week, 15 of those hours can be contributed by friends and family.
Program participants may also be eligible to receive a reduced interest which will keep the monthly mortgage payment affordable for the homebuyer. Most of the eligibility requirements follow the USDA Rural Housing Guidelines.
- 620 minimum credit score
- Must meet maximum income requirement (60% or less AMI)
- Cannot currently own a home
- Contribute minimum 30 hrs per week
- Willing to purchase Builders Risk Policy
- Purchase or provide tool belt and construction hand tools
More Grants available in Utah